Monday, December 1, 2008

The Last Great Record Store?

I had the opportunity, on my way back home from Washington, to stop in Missoula and visit the Ear Candy record store. Over the years, I have traveled all over this country, and being something of a compulsive consumer of music, I'm always on the lookout for places where I can find something new or different. I have even made trans-continental trips laid out to allow me to check out some new source that I have heard about on-line or in an article in the popular music press. Unfortunately, such places are becoming more and more rare, as on-line shopping and music downloading have undercut the old-fashioned walk-in trade. Even where the stores have remained open, they have largely done so by reducing their music stock in favor of gifts and novelties that keep the doors open but make a visit by such an inveterate record consumer as myself almost always disappointing. The key to a great record store, for me, is that I can walk in and find something unexpected that I want to hear just by browsing the collection, or that I can find something I've had on my shopping list for months that just does not pop up in the usual places (meaning stores that sell music, but only stock new releases or popular hits).

This is where Ear Candy really shines-- they qualify as a great store on both counts. I went in on Saturday hoping I might find one or two things, and walked out with six. All of them were items that I had not seen elsewhere, a couple from my list, and four surprises (the latter including a new release by the proprietor John's band, Secret Powers, which I put on in the car and enjoyed all the way to Drummond). In case you're interested, here's what else I picked up: the new releases by the All Girl Summer Fun Band and Andre Williams; a compilation by the Dirtbombs; a Real Kids album of outtakes from the early 90s; and a collection of garage rock rarities from the 60s. I don't get to Missoula often enough, but when I do, I'm glad there's still a place like Ear Candy around to make the trip worthwhile.

No comments: