Wednesday, December 24, 2008

How the Mighty Have Fallen

One of the highlights of coming home for the holidays is partaking of the local gastronomic delights. A sub from DeBellos, pizza from Bocce's, hot dogs from Ted's, chicken wings at Duff's... and, once upon a time, almost anything on the menu at local fast food institution Mighty Taco. Unfortunately, I'm sad to report that there has been a change at the last named, and in particular, the once spectacular bean burrito (spectacular in price, heartiness, and overall satisfaction) has been reduced to a fairly ordinary snack. I don't know exactly what happened (I'll have to inquire the next time I visit), but I suspect they have changed the cheese they use (it used to be monterey jack) and altered the recipe for the beans to make them vegetarian (whereas in the past they had a slight hint of bacon added). Mighty Taco remains fast, cheap and convenient (open later than most other such establishments), but the sad fact remains that they no longer are the special treat I once anticipated for weeks prior to a visit to Western New York. I guess nothing lasts forever. [sigh]

No comments: