Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Christmas List

I don't know but maybe someone reading this may be thinking of getting me a Christmas present. If so, I thought I'd mention a few books that I'd like to read and, if they should find their way underneath the Christmas tree, I'd be very grateful. Here's the list:

Peter Doggett, There's a Riot Going On [music]
Dean Wareham, Black Postcards [music]
Dan Kennedy, Rock On: An Office Power Ballad [music]
Jim Walsh, The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting [music]
Tony Judt, Reappraisals: Reflections on the Forgotten Twentieth Century [history]
John Burrow, A History of Histories [history]
Martin Cohen, Philosophical Tales [philosophy]
Kitty Ferguson, The Music of Pythagorus [history/philosophy]
Richard T. Kelly, 10 Bad Dates With DeNiro [film]
Mike Edison, I Have Fun Wherever I Go [media]
Neil Harris, The Chicagoan: A Lost magazine of the Jazz Age [history/media]
Jon Clinch, Finn: A Novel
Robert Bolano, The Savage Detectives [novel]
Gary W. Moore, Playing With the Enemy:A Baseball Prodigy, World War II, and the Long Journey Home [sports]
Mark Steel, Vive La Revolution: A Stand-Up History of the French Revolution [humor]

Feel free to leave your lists in comments too-- I've still got some shopping to do myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can HIGHLY RECOMMEND Moore's Playing with the Enemy. Tell someone close to you to get a copy directly from the publisher (like my sister did for me on my birthday recently), and it comes with a SIGNED bookplate. Really cool. A first edition, too. The website is www.savasbeatie.com

Merry Christmas.

--Dick K.

Anonymous said...

Dr. John - thank you. I am honored to see my book, Playing with the Enemy on your list! i hope someone comes through and you find it under your tree.

Merry Christmas.

Gary W. Moore
www.playingwiththeenemy.com

John Hajduk said...

Based on these endorsements, I'll definitely pick up the book even if I don't receive it as a gift.
Dr. John