Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Favorite Painting 10

Edward Hopper, New York Movie 1939

In keeping with the theme for the day here at Dr. John's Journal, I offer one of my favorite Hopper paintings which I get to see at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. It is yet another of his depictions of loneliness, made all the more poignant by the proximity of a crowd presumably enjoying the show. The lone usherette (how long since anyone has seen one of those in a theater?) seems lost in reverie under the exit light, dramatically removed from the more ornate setting of the theater proper. A lot of Hopper paintings have this motif of loneliness or serene stillness; this one is somewhat unique in locating its sense of ennui in such a usually festive place. And what do the steps symbolize? Opportunity? Stardom, maybe? Or just the way to the bathrooms?

p.s.- I partly selected this image because I've been writing a lot about movies today; but it also was suggested by the post about Zippy the Pinhead from earlier in the week. Check it out if you missed it.

3 comments:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
I noticed you have another Hopper, he must be one of your favorites =0 Did you know that there is/was a show of his work here in the Seattle/Tacoma area? I will look it up, if you wish, and see if the show is still around next time you may be passing along this way. I also have enjoyed his work. You pick and support your art very well.
Lil' Sis

John Hajduk said...

Lil Sis,
Yeah I like Hopper a lot, but I don't think I've posted about one of his paintings before. I didn't know about the show, but if you find out that it is still going on, that would be some additional incentive for me to plan a trip (assuming I can work it around my teaching). Let me know what you find out.
Dr. John

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
I guess you are right I don't know why I thought you posted 2 pictures of Hopper's. Anyway the exhibit is at the Seattle Art Museum but it end March 1st - coming out soon? =)
Lil'Sis