Saturday, January 8, 2011

Three Pictures: Ellicott Creek

Sometimes I like to go out and shoot a bunch of pictures specifically for the purpose of playing around with them later on Photoshop. These often include subjects that are so familiar to me that I don't feel like I can come up with something original in the initial photo (thoug I do try to make interesting compositions). I like to go to Ellicott Creek Park for just this reason-- I rarely see something new or striking (I've been going there since I was a little kid), but it's still fun to see what I can make out of that familiarity. So here are three pictures taken last week at the Park, and now processed a bit (or in one case, a lot) through the various filters available on my software.

This is a good example of what I mean-- the only thing that makes this picture somewhat interesting is that I boosted the colors to create a little more contrast between sky and foreground. But I admit, it was more valuable as a learning exercise for me than as a finished product.

The park is prime dog-walking territory-- I think this one could use a little more work to sharpen the detail (especially in the trees), but I kind of like the overall effect. Again, even if this isn't a great final product, it may give me ideas for techniques to use on other pictures later.

No comments: