Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pazz & Jop


The Village Voice Annual Pazz & Jop poll came out last week, which you can read all about here. Last year when the poll came out I wrote about how it revealed how far I've fallen away from being "hip" as far as music is concerned. This year's list certainly continues that trend. Virtually every record I bought in the last year and really liked actually made the list, but very few were anywhere near the top (there several hundred albums listed, with a great many of those named on a single ballot from critics around the country). I do own three from the top ten, and five in the top twenty, but I wouldn't count any of these as favorites. Meanwhile, most of the rest of the elites were either unknown to me, or something I actively dislike (or don't find very appealing or interesting). I guess this trend was inevitable, and it doesn't really bother me-- it just seems to have happened rather suddenly. Oh well, I doubt I'll ever be without plenty of stuff I like to listen to, so what difference does it make if it's not what the cool kids like?

No comments: