Saturday, January 29, 2011

Soup Diary 110129

I lunched today at the Mackenzie River restaurant in Butte, where I began my meal with a cup of the soup of the day: Beer Cheese. You might recall that a week or so ago I had some cheese soup at Subway which was surprisingly tasty. But where the previous sampling was kind of light and creamy, today's was rather rich and chalky. In fact, I'd compare it to a Welsh rarebit more than a soup, and I think it would've been a bit better poured over some hearty homemade bread than standing, as it did, all by itself. I don't mean to complain too much-- it wasn't bad. It was just striking to me that it wasn't as good as the stuff from the fast food place, which I might not have even noticed if I hadn't had them so close together. Oh well. I did spot a recently opened place in uptown Butte a little later in the day, that was advertising its soup in the front window, so next time I'm there, I'll have someplace new to try.

No comments: