Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday Philosophy

Here's a passage from Immanuel Kant's Critique of Practical Reason. It's a bit weighty, but I think rewarding if you spend some time thinking about what Kant is saying:

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder-- the starry heavens above me, and the moral law within me. I need not search for them, and vaguely guess concerning them, as if they were veiled in darkness or hidden in the infinite altitude. I see them before me, and link them immediately with the consciousness of my existence. The former begins from the spot I occupy in the outer world of sense, and enlarges my connection with it to a boundless extent with worlds upon worlds and systems of systems. The second begins with my invisible self, my personality, and places me in a truly infinite world traceable only by my understanding, with which I perceive I am in an universal and necessary connection, as I am also thereby with all those visible worlds. This view infinitely elevates my value as an intelligence by my personality, in which the moral law reveals to me a life independent of the animal and even the whole material world, and reaching my destiny into the infinite."

No comments: