Saturday, January 15, 2011

I Think About Stupid Stuff Too

So, I was watching an episode of That 70s Show a couple nights ago (it seems to be on all the time around here) and saw something that kind of bugged me. The character Hyde was sitting in Foreman's basement, engaged with other characters in what passes for witty repartee on that program while reading an issue of Mad magazine. I'm pretty sure it was the issue pictured above, which originally came out in the summer of 1977 when the show is set. It was not a pertinent part of the scene, but it caught my attention because the very visible back cover of the magazine sported a cigarette ad. This struck me as exceedingly odd, since Mad was largely aimed at young people (though I'm sure many adults read it too), and I could not imagine it took ads from the tobacco industry. I mean, it was essentially a comic book, so it was much more likely that the back cover would have an ad for something like Hostess Cupcakes, or maybe plastic army men, or something along those lines. But then, something else occurred to me: Mad in those days was totally ad-free! The inside back cover was always the Al Jaffee fold-in feature, and the outside generally sported a cartoon by Don Martin. So what was going on here? Did the prop-master have a hard time finding a vintage Mad, and so photocopy and paste a fake cover onto another periodical? Or, was this something more nefarious? As I'm sure you all know, cigarette ads were banned from television back in the early seventies, while That 70s Show was produced in the 2000s. Was this a subliminal attempt to get around the tobacco broadcast ban? I don't know the answer, but I'm going to keep my eyes open to see if this part of a pattern of sneaking illegal ads onto the air. It looks like I'm going to have to watch a bunch more episodes to get to the bottom of this!

No comments: