Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Last Movie I Saw

Peter Travers in Rolling Stone named The Tourist as the worst movie of 2010. I wouldn't go that far, but it may very well be the stupidest. Heck, I guessed the surprise ending when I saw the preview several months ago. It's almost like two separate movies, one starring Angelina Jolie, which is incredibly dull and clunky (I have to admit, as good looking as she is, she rarely impresses me as an actress); and another starring Johnny Depp which has a bit more flare, but is pretty dumb in its own right. To be honest, the only reasons I went to see it are that I had two hours to kill waiting for a plane, and it was mostly set in Venice which I've been to a couple of times and didn't mind re-visiting on the big screen. As it turned out, the location photography and integration of the city into the plot made it bearable, as I got a kick out of recognizing spots where I'd been (and not just the famous ones). For that reason alone, I can imagine watching snatches of this movie when it inevitably pops up on TBS several times a month, at least until a commercial break has me reaching for the remote.

No comments: