Friday, August 5, 2011

Soup Diary 110805

The problem with not posting everyday (which has been the case for much of the last month) is that I miss the immediate opportunity to comment on the soups I enjoy quite regularly (usually for lunch) as I go about my daily business. So this is kind of a catch-up post. First I should mention that I have not had a truly outstanding cup of soup in quite awhile, aside from the Chicken Escarole mentioned in the last diary entry. But by the same token, I haven't had anything terribly disappointing either. I've had a couple of different broccoli cheddars, which is hard to mess up (in one case, the chef did go a little overboard on the cheese; but it was white cheddar , which was enough of a twist that I think he deserves a pass). I've also had a couple of different potato soups, and the loaded potato at the Olympic really did kind of match the appeal of a stuffed baked potato, with bacon, cheese, onion, chives, and probably one or two other ingredients. I enjoyed a nice tomato, cucumber and dill cold soup in Middlebury Vermont-- it was like gazpacho, but without the Mexican tang. Fables has been on a nice run, though with varieties that they've previously established as worthwhile: Brazilian black bean, creamy tomato basil, and chicken black bean poblano. But they also had something called Pulled Pork Cheddar which was new and surprisingly good (mainly because the cheesey broth was not overwhelming). Last, today I had a cup of Cheddar Ale at Fables, which was pretty cheesey, but how could you expect anything else? It was okay, maybe half a notch below the others mentioned, but that may be more due to my particular tastes than the actual quality of the soup. I think that catches me up. Overall, I'd have to say it's been a pretty good couple of weeks, soup-wise.

No comments: