Friday, February 11, 2011

The Greatest Movie Year Ever

Some time back my sister Liz suggested I do a series commenting on the movies of 1939, which is often said to be the greatest year in the history of the cinematic arts. I started to do that, but then got distracted, though I hope to post at least a few more reviews of my favorites from that year. I bring it up now though to give a heads up to those of you who have access to the Turner Classics Movies channel. All day tomorrow they will be showing the ten movies that were nominated for the Best Picture Academy Award in 1939 . I'm not convinced these are in fact the ten best of that year (I think my favorite from the list would be either Stagecoach or Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, neither of which won the Oscar-- you can probably figure out which one did), but I guess you can be the judge of that by camping in front of the TV tomorrow.

No comments: