Saturday, February 12, 2011

Four Pictures: Pompeii

These are from my trip to Italy about eleven years ago. The last stop on the itinerary was the city of Pompeii, destroyed by a volcano hundreds of years ago and recently dug out to some degree.

A lot of the town was amazingly well-preserved, though there was very little that was entirely intact anymore. You do get a sense, from the ruins, of what a prosperous place the town was in its heyday. Lots of great architecture and art evident in the remains.

I wish I'd had a digital camera back then, as I was running low on film by the time we got there, and so I didn't take as many pictures as I would've liked. These are some that I've recently scanned and digitized (including a little cleanup). Maybe I'll come across a few more as I go through my boxes of negatives.

No comments: