Friday, December 10, 2010

Soup Diary 101210

Well, I've finally had a truly spectacular bowl of soup in Montana, and it came in possibly the last form I would have expected. I've never been a big fan of squash, in any form or prepared in any manner. I don't really dislike it, but never thought of it as particularly flavorful-- good for you perhaps, but utterly forgettable in the taste department. When I've had squash based soups in the past, they've always been kind of blah. Not so the bowl I had tonight at the Old Hotel up in Twin Bridges (we were entertaining a job applicant for a position at my school). This butternut soup was very mild, and not as heavy as other squash-based soups I've tried. It was also very subtly but effectively seasoned with ginger and nutmeg, and I'm sure one or two other spices that merged together in a very smooth and satisfying way, attaining a flavor that seemed perfectly in keeping with the holiday season without being in the least bit overwhelming. It was an absolute delight (and the rest of the meal was just as good-- and it wasn't just because it came on the university's dime). Alas, because of distance and price, I don't see the Old Hotel becoming a regular haunt, but it's good to know that there's at least one place in the state where they know how do make some really good soup.

No comments: