Monday, October 31, 2011

Pictures from Red Rocks

On past visits to Red Rocks Canyon outside of Las Vegas, it was hard to force my attention away from the mountains that dominate the landscape. But on a recent visit I decided to also take a look and snap some pictures of the other feature of that landscape-- the desert.

Of course the desert has it's own stark beauty, especially in contrast to the surrounding peaks and colorful rocks. Since I was also testing another new lens, it was fun to play around a bit with depth-of-field, integrating the foreground and background in different ways (as in the top two photos).

The last two pictures were more about capturing detail, contrasting rocks with flora. One thing is for certain: this was a radically different terrain/subject than the pictures I've been taking in recent weeks closer to home in the Pioneer Mountains and Big Hole Valley.

1 comment:

meppowers said...

Golly, I do enjoy these pictures. Wish I could go with you on one of those expeditions....Mom