Wednesday, October 12, 2011

More Bannack in Black & White

Let's call this sequence "variations on a theme." These are among the shots I took last week in Bannack. My primary goal was to keep testing the new fixed length lens I recently bought, but each of these also represent some experiments I've been doing in converting color shots to black and white.

So, despite the content and compositional similarities, I'm mostly pleased that I'm getting better at making details somewhat crisper, and capturing some midtones without losing rich black features and mostly true whites (like in the cloud above). I may not be totally there yet, but I think I'm getting closer.

Also, I'm captivated by doorways and windows. After quite a few visits to Bannack (I was actually there again yesterday with one of my classes), it's only been since I started seriously taking pictures there that such features started jumping out at me as some of the most unique characteristics of the town. So you may be seeing more of this kind of shot posted here in the future.

No comments: