Sunday, September 11, 2011

Soup Diary 110911

Well, what do you know-- it is possible to get a great cup of soup in Montana without going to some swanky expensive restaurant. At a fairly nondescript, out-of-the-way place called Steve's Diner in Helena yesterday I had a cup that rivaled the best of Fables in its heyday. What made it especially surprising is that it was a variation on one of the most boringly ubiquitous varieties that I typically avoid. But given no choice, I went with the Chunky Cream of Tomato and it was outstanding. This was a subtly sweet and creamy concoction with plentiful chunks of tomato, celery and onion, all stewed to a perfect texture: not mushy and not crunchy, but just right. It actually restores my faith in the idea that one can make a great tomato soup, something I'd long since figured must be impossible. To find it in a place I've driven by a hundred times without stopping fills me with regret at the missed opportunities, but you can bet I'll be going back the next time I'm in the capital city. I sure hope this wasn't a fluke.

No comments: