Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Last Movie I Saw

I'm into that season when my movie-going options are kind of limited. First of all, I have to drive for a couple of hours just to get to a place where there are more than two screens to choose from; then, the selection is further whittled down because I saw most of the summer releases of interest back east, and they are only now showing up out here. So I'm stuck, when I have the urge to see something, with unattractive options like Columbiana and Our Idiot Brother. But at least in the case of the latter, my low expectations probably worked to the advantage of the film, which turned out to be somewhat more interesting and thoughtful than I expected. The titular character isn't really so much an idiot as someone who has decided to live his life giving everyone else the benefit of the doubt, always assuming their intentions are basically good and giving them support whether they deserve it or not. This inevitably leads him to do idiotic things, since very few people (including his three sisters to varying degrees) view things with the same sunny perspective. So what we get is a simple little morality play as the brother's chosen path of open acceptance begins to positively influence and reshape the more selfish aspects of his siblings' lives. It's certainly not great, but entertaining largely because of the performances of charming actors like Paul Rudd, Zooey Deschanel, Elizabeth Banks, Rashida Jones, and Adam Scott. In a way, it kind of restores my faith in the hippy ethic-- or as Nick Lowe put it "what's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?" One answer is this movie, but it's a nice, reassuring kind of funny.

No comments: