Friday, September 16, 2011

Italy in Black & White

These are some random photos that I took a few years ago in Milan and Venice. For one reason or another, each seemed to be a bit more striking once I converted them to black and white. The first is a newsstand in St. Mark's Plaza in Venice.

The ornate floor seen above is found in what was described to us as the world's oldest shopping mall in Milan. Of course, we heard the same thing about a complex of buildings in Rome, but at least in this case, the place was still open for business.

It was a rainy day in Venice (actually Milan too) while we were there, and I kind of liked the way these umbrellas appeared looking out through the grated screen onto St. Mark's Plaza.

A somewhat typical scene of a singing gondolier, entertaining both his customers on the boat and the folks walking alongside the canal.

This one makes me wonder what the young woman is looking at, especially since everyone else on the promendae is heading off in the opposite direction.

I enjoy taking pictures in the rain-- more to the pointy, I enjoy the results of pictures taken in the rain. Actually taking them can be a bit of a hassle.

No comments: