Monday, September 5, 2011

Soup Diary 110905

It's always a bit of a letdown when I get back to Montana and no longer have the wide array of soup options I inevitably encounter when traveling. I mean, there's nothing wrong with the tried and true, and if I'm in the mood for soup, then most any of the old stand-bys will generally answer that craving. So it's particularly irritating when I order something as straightforward as Chicken Noodle and its not very good, which was the case a couple days ago at a place in Idaho Falls (I won't mention the name of the place, since this is the first time they let me down). When I say it wasn't very good, I don't just mean it was bland and ordinary-- it actually tasted sour, as if it had been flavored with vinegar. I suspect it was because it had been sitting in the pot longer than was good for it, but who knows? Maybe the chef thought some vinegar would give it a little pizzaz. Anyway, I'll just ratchet my expectations down for awhile, at least until I get back to someplace where it's more than just an afterthought on the menu.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John, did you complain to the waitress or the management about that soup? One could get sick from eating something that stood around in the pot too long under less that appropriate temperatures. It's a very good idea to let them know they goofed somehow....Mom