Thursday, July 28, 2011

I Think About Stupid Stuff Too

For months I've been looking for some kind of system to store and catalog the SD Memory Cards I use in my digital cameras. It used to be they came in small plastic cases that could be easily stacked, but lately it's just the card, and since I use them as backup storage (that is, I download the pictures to my computer but keep them on the cards as well), I hate to pile them up with the contacts exposed to dust, heat, whatever. So, I've been searching in camera stores, department stores, stationary shops, everywhere I can think of to find something that works as an easy, safe, cheap and space-saving system, but with no luck. Camera stores have really expensive cases that maybe hold up to four of the cards, but they are designed to also accommodate larger cards that I don't use, which means lots of wasted space. Anyway, about two weeks ago, I stumbled on something that was exactly what I was looking for in of all places, a drugstore, namely Rite Aid. You can see a picture above: it holds ten cards, is virtually as flat as the cards themselves, and they are relatively cheap (about $6). The only problem was that when I spotted it entirely by chance, there was only one available, while I could use three or four. I immediately bought the one on display (the clerk probably thought I was nuts because I was kind of going on about finding something I'd begun to think did not exist in response to her query "Did you find everything?"). I also realized that if I got lucky in this Rite Aid, there was a good chance I'd find more in other Rite Aids in the area, and there seem to be quite a lot of them. So the next day, I was in another part of town, spotted a Rite Aid and went in to check. Sure enough, they had one too, but again, only one. I bought it and a couple days later, stopped in another Rite Aid and they too had one, only one. A couple of days later, the same thing in another location. I now had the four I figured I needed to organize my collection, but there was something tugging at my brain: why was it always one, and only one in each store? They don't take up much space on the rack; the SD cards alongside them were generally in abundance. So, even though I had met my quota, I started stopping in other Rite Aids as I came across them (and no kidding, they are ubiquitous in this part of the world). I was in my seventh different store today, and as in all the others, one card case. I even went back to the first store to see if they had re-ordered after I cleaned them out on that first visit. One card case. I'm becoming somewhat obsessed with checking every Rite Aid store to see if there are ever two or none or five or anything other than one. My sister reported seeing two in a store out in the Southtowns, but I'm not sure I believe her-- she might've just been trying to put me out of my misery. I think I may have to find a phone book and make a list and do this more systematically, though that only adds data to the investigation. Still, I'm left with the question: why always and only one?

5 comments:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
I would think that there could be a sense that this product has legs (in other words - stolen) so they only put one out at a time - I would think the sd cards next to them would be more tempting for the thefts but maybe there is some illegal activity (drugs) that would use these as well to store their stash.... you should ask the clerks if they have any more (of course they may look at you funny if the above theory is a valid one...)
Lil' Sis

Jennifer said...

Well, now I'm intrigued. I'll check next time I go by one and represent the state of NH for you.

Anonymous said...

There were 2 at the Rite Aid in East Aurora - but I was shopping with Ben, and thought that perhaps there would be as many as the people looking for them? You should shop with a friend and see.
Sally

Anonymous said...

http://www.supermart.com/memory-card-organizer--p-78887.aspx

John Hajduk said...

Lil Sis: I guess there could be something to the "legs" theory but the package is actually larger than that of the cards themselves, so it would have to be for the reason of it having another use. But in that case, the slots seem really too small (actually flat) to have much value for storing anything else, unless they match in volume a particular coveted quantity (something less than a teaspoon I'd guess).
Jen: I'd appreciate hearing what you find out-- I suppose I could just ask, but this is something I'd kind of like to figure out myself, however unlikely that may be.
Dr. John