Friday, June 10, 2011

The Last Concert I Saw

I saw a great show at the Town Ballroom in Buffalo last night, featuring two really fine bands: Titus Andronicus (I posted one of their videos yesterday, picture below)) and Okkervil River (above and at bottom). Although I was compelled to go mainly by the presence of the latter on the bill, Titus Andronicus were really phenomenal live. In fact they left the stage with the crowd so riled up, that it took several songs by the headliners to stake their own claim on the evening. But that they did, with their own rolicking set.

I'm not sure why or how, but I've never seen a show at this venue before, and it's a great space to see live music. It seemed like most of the crowd was walk-up traffic (based on the box office line compared to the ticket holders line when I arrived), like me. I was actually amazed at how many people were singing along with many of Okkervil River's songs, as they seem to have established a fan base here in Western New York. I've played their music a bunch of times on my radio show back in Montana and kind of had the impression they were otherwise unknown in those parts (maybe even true after I played them on my show).

Just a dynamite show across the board (even the opening act, Future Islands, was interesting if not quite up to the standard of the other two groups). They've set a high standard for other shows I hope to catch this summer.

No comments: