Monday, June 6, 2011

Soup Diary 110606

There are two restaurants near here, right across the street from each other, and rumored to be owned by the same family. They have similar menus, emphasizing Greek specialties, and similarly low prices, so they represent something of a monopoly on the choices if you happen to be in that neighborhood. Having eaten at each, however, I have discovered one notable difference: the one known as The Royal (the other is The Olympic) has really good soups. They are never anything fancy, none of the exotic varieties I've enjoyed at Fables, or more recently at Infinite Soups, but they are always incredibly satisfying. Yesterday I had a Beef Tenderloin with Spinach and Onions that was fantastic-- just rich beefy flavor augmented by loads of those two vegetables. I'm not sure there was anything else in there aside from a dash of salt, but it had been stewed to perfection. I have never been disappointed with anything I've ordered there (good meatloaf, sandwiches, omelets, you name it), but perhaps needless to say I especially have a soft spot for their soup. Here's hoping they never do disappoint me.

No comments: