Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Soup Diary 110628

I'm not a big fan of asparagus. I'll eat it, but I've never bought or made it for myself, and would always opt for some other vegetable if I had a choice. The other day I could have opted for some beef noodle soup when I was out for dinner, but I decided to take a chance on something new and went instead for the cream of asparagus. I think I may have actually gritted my teeth and winced a little as I raised the first spoonful to my lips. But my adventurousness (if it can really be called that) was amply rewarded with an extremely tasty cup of soup. The asparagus flavor was somewhat muted in a very creamy broth with just a bit of bite. Given that this was a Greek restaurant, I should not have been surprised-- I can't recall ever having a disagreeable dish at a Greek restaurant. And I can't really express how gratifying it is to keep discovering new flavors of soup that I genuinely enjoy.

No comments: