Tuesday, March 15, 2011

More From My Visit to LACMA

Here are a few more pictures from my visit to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art last week. The Museum is actually on the same block as the La Brea Tar Pits, a corner of which is visible in the above shot taken from the third floor of the European Gallery (in the upper left). The neighborhood surrounding the museum, and especially Wilshire Boulevard seen on the right, is known as the Miracle Mile, and was one of the earliest urban developments in the country consisting of high-rise buildings.

Of all the galleries that make up the complex, I enjoyed the European Building the most, mainly because it seemed the largest and most diverse collection, especially strong in Twentieth Century work. They had a special section devoted to German Expressionism and Georg Grosz, whose stuff I really like. The shot above shows some of the more modern work on display (kind of a variation on a photo I posted yesterday).

This section reminded me of my hometown gallery, the Albright-Knox in Buffalo-- lots of post-1945 abstract art in a variety of forms.

I really like this shot of the couple apparently debating the merits of Rene Magritte. Which of the two do you suppose is representing the pro-Magritte argument?

No comments: