Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Four Pictures of Sculptures

I was experimenting on my recent travels with shooting statues and other types of 3D art which lent themselves to a variety of angles or blended with their settings in interesting ways. Here are a few examples. Above is a Rodin sculpture in the garden at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.

This is a classical work of one of the mythological muses from ancient Rome, which resides at the Getty Villa.

Another Rodin-- I think this one could use some work on the background, but I liked the figure raising his arms to the sky.

This last one is a little different. It's an ancient piece of ceramic, actually a very small vessel that I imagine would hold something like perfume. But it looked amazingly like an old family heirloom Christmas ornament that still gets put out on my Mom's tree every year: a small ceramic bunch of grapes. As seen here, this is just a tad larger than the object is in real life, which makes it about the same size as the ornament (though the ornament lacks the same kind of stem). It makes me wonder if the ornament is older than I thought, or if this design has just been a perennial down through the ages.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ornament you are thinking of dates back to the early 1920's, at least. I think the artifact you show here is a little older than that....Mom

John Hajduk said...

Mom,
I can't find where I jotted down the date on this piece, but it goes back at least to the seventh century AD, maybe earlier. I really didn't think the grapes ornament was that old ;-)
Dr. John