Saturday, March 12, 2011

Four Pictures: Surfers at Santa Monica

The first photos I have to share from my recent California vacation are of some surfers riding the waves near the Santa Monica pier. I got out to the beach about 7:00 am, and there were already a bunch of folks out on the water.

These were taken with the action setting on my camera, so for each of the ones that turned out pretty good (a few more than just these four) there are about seven or eight out of focus or catching the tip of a board disappearing under the waves after a fall.

Despite that ratio, I'm pretty pleased with the results, and was kind of enjoying the show (plus the great weather) even when I failed to get a great shot.

I'll probably post some more surfing shots as I go through the whole set. I had such a good time shooting these (and hanging on the beach) on Tuesday morning, that I got up early and spent a couple hours there again on Wednesday (with some more photos taken then too). I can't think of a better way to spend a morning, and hope I get a chance to do it again sometime.

No comments: