Thursday, November 27, 2008

Italy Trip 19

After leaving the concert at the Piazza della Popolo, I walked over to the Tiber River to see what it looked like in that part of the city. The day before, when we crossed it near the Vatican, I felt bad that my camera was not working, since there were some really nice potential pictures, especially at twilight. The view at this point was less stunning, but still pretty. Here's the view looking north:

And here is the view looking south:

I sat and rested in a small park on the other side of the river and read the International Herald Tribune. It was a very nice day (as you can probably tell from teh pictures) about 65 degrees and sunny-- much better than I had expected for November. After finishing the paper, I headed back over the river looking for someplace to have lunch. I found a nice outdoor cafe on the far side of the Piazza della Popolo. Here's a view of the arch leading into the Piazza from my seat on the sidewalk:

I had a really nice meal (some bruschetta for an appetizer, and a Porcini Mushroom pizza), and sat and watched the world go by. Up the block was the entrance to the Borghese Villa park (which is where I was heading next):

I was going to the park because, inside is the National Gallery of Modern Art, and I wanted to check out the futurists. When I was in Rome 8 years ago, I went to the gallery on my last evening in Italy, arrived when there was only about an hour before the museum closed, and then discovered that the galleries where the futurists were housed were closed for renovation. So I was really looking forward to seeing what I missed the last time. Here's the facade of the museum:

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, I could not take pictures inside the museum. But I finally got to some great work by Balla, Boccioni, Severini, and others. Actually, probably my favorite pieces were not those by the futurists I waited so long to see, but instead the work of a couple of other artists that I was previously unfamiliar with (more on them later). They also head a large collection of Marcel DuChamp's ready-mades, which are even funnier in person that in text-books. After leaving the museum, I spent an hour or so wondering about the park, which was a highlight in itsself-- pictures in the next post.

1 comment:

Jhon Jack said...

Thanks for sharing this great article. Great information thanks a lot for the detailed article. That is very interesting I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this.
bruce kehr