Thursday, November 20, 2008

Italy Trip 13

After passing through the old Roman Forum, we came up adjacent to the Campidoglio e Musei Capitolini, and outside there was a statue (a copy of a a very famous larger model that I gather was destroyed) showing Romulus and Remus, the mythical founders of Rome, being given sustenance by a she-wolf (you can read more of their story here).

Here's a shot looking up the steps at the Musei (which I did not go into, though some of the students did and they told me there was a very good Picasso exhibit):

From there, we reboarded the bus and drove across the Tiber River to the Vatican. Here's a shot of the river (taken through the bus window, so maybe a little fuzzy). The building on the left is the Castel of San Angelo, which I believe at one time was the residence of the Pope (or maybe it was somewhere they sought refuge when the city was under attack):

It was raining by the time we got to the Piazza del San Pietro (St. Peter's Square). We had the one less-than-satisfying meal at a restaurant along the Via della Conciliazione, which is the street that leads into the square. Not only was the food not too impressive, but it was incredibly overpriced, which we didn't realize until we hit the checkout counter, since there were no pirices on the items as we went through (it was a cafeteria set-up). Considering that that was really the only thing I can think of to complain about in relation to the trip (I don't count my aching feet from all the walking-- that was to be expected), gives you some indication of how great it was in general. Anyway, here's a nice shot of the square:

After lunch, we walked around for a guided tour of the museum. On our way we passed this gate, which was an entryway into the Vatican:

Shortly after we arrived at the Vatican, my camera conked out on me, so I have no more pictures from that day. I was worried that it had shorted and I had fried my memory card (which had photos going back to Florence on it). But after playing around with it that evening, it came back to life and everything was okay. The next post will have pictures from the following day, when I wandered all over the city.

No comments: