Friday, November 21, 2008

Italy Trip 14

Okay, here's the first set of pictures from my last day in Italy. It was a totally free day to do what we pleased, and I looged several miles on foot checking out everyhting I could squeeze in that I had missed not only the previous day, but also eight years earlier when I was here last. The first picture is actually taken from the bus on our way into the city. Our hotel was actually about ten miles outside Rome in a resort area called Vellitri. It was a nice hotel, way up in the hills, and on the ride down we went past this lake. On the far side, at the top of the ridge to the left, you can see a castle which at one time was the summer residence of the popes. I'm not sure, but maybe it still is. Anyway, it was a nice scenic view (even through the window of the bus):

Coming into the city, we passed a number of isolated ancient temples and columns and other ruins. The coolest to me was the remnant of the old aqueduct which supplied the city with water. It's not quite as neat as the one I saw in Segovia Spain 20 years ago, but pretty impressive nonetheless:

We were dropped off in the area near the Coliseum, I headed over to check out the Foro di Traiano, which was originally created by Julius Caesar. The building in this photo was the market, which housed dozens of merchants:

The bridge leading to the market is the last remaining one in Rome built during ancient times (if I remember what the guide had told us when we drove by in the bus):

Here are the remains of the Foro di Traiano, which I believe pre-date those of the Foro Romano that I posted the other day. The church in the background is newer, of course, but the columns indicate where the main square was when Julius Caesar was emperor:

From here I headed over to the Pantheon, and I'll post some pictures of that in the next installment on the Italy trip.

No comments: