Sunday, November 23, 2008

Italy Trip 15

I'm on the last day of my visit to Italia, but it was so jam-packed, I think it may take a few more posts to get through everything. This sequence covers less than an hour. After leaving the section of the city designated as the old Roman Forum, where the bulk of the ruins and ongoing excavations are occurring, I decided to head over to the Pantheon. Along the way, I got this shot of the front of the Monument to Victor Emmanuel (we say the statues at the top in an earlier picture taken in the forum):

A couple of blocks away, I came across this ruin, which is called the Area Sacra Argentina. It occupies a block in the middle of an otherwise fairly modern neighborhood:

Here is the Piazza della Rotunda, with the Pantheon in the background. This is a very well-preserved ancient Roman temple that was long ago converted to a Catholic church. I gather that it is among the best preserved examples of Roman architecture from the imperial period:

The morning I was there, there was a large contingent of priests hovering around the entrance, all decked out in fancy robes, apparently preparing for some kind of ceremony:

Here's a picture of the Pantheon's dome from the inside:

Unfortunately, the other pictures I took inside came out too dark, and before I could make adjustments on the camera to fix the problem, I and all the other visitors got hustled out. I guess whatever the priests were gathering for wass about to start. I thought about hanging around to check it out, but there was more I wanted to see, and time was short.

No comments: