Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Year That Was

The Joy Formidable

I remember as a teenager waiting anxiously to listen to the Top 100 countdown at the end of every year on one or more of the local Top 40 radio stations. I'd set up my little portable cassette recorder next to the speaker, trying to determine the best spot to place the microphone to record something listenable from among all my favorites of that year. Do radio stations even bother with such year-end events anymore, now that virtually every song is instantly available "on demand?" Well, whether they do or not, Jack Rabid of The Big Takeover (magazine and website) has put together such a program, and I had more fun listening to this than I have to any similar program in probably forty years. If you'd like a nice summary of some of the best music to come out in the last year, you should check it out too.

No comments: