Friday, January 20, 2012

Soup Diary 120120

Longtime readers will recall that my soup obsession (if you can call it that) began when I started ordering the exotic soups offered at a place called Fables, which is a cafe located inside the Buffalo and Erie County Library. At that time, they had a chef (or maybe chefs) who were true artists, and I could count on regularly encountering something out of the ordinary in both selection and taste. A year or so ago, the place changed hands, and it just hasn't been the same. They still offered soup every day, even multiple varieties; but more and more it was standard fare, both in selection and taste. This past week, I was in the library doing research on three separate occasions, and on only one of those day did they offer something that hinted at the glory days of the past. The other two times, I didn't even bother ordering anything (I have little confidence that their minestrone, tomato basil or chicken rice will be all that worthwhile). It's sad. But I have to say that the one soup that did tempt me, the Greens and Beans and Chorizo, turned out to be pretty good. It actually reminded me of the classic bean soup I used to get years ago at a late, lamented eatery known as Bagel Brothers. There wasn't actually much Chorizo in the cup I had, but that was okay with me as it's flavor was evident enough in the broth, the beans, and the kale (I think, maybe spinach). Fables is not what it once was, but then, what is? As long as I can at least occasionally count on a good cup of soup there, I'll be happy.

No comments: