Monday, January 23, 2012

The Last Movie I Saw

My Week With Marilyn, directed by Simon Curtis features a really nice performance by Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe. It's a decently told story of how Monroe went to England to star in a movie with Laurence Olivier during the period of the mid-fifties when she was a star but not yet an icon, and much of the story revolves around her insecurities in living up to the roles being thrust upon her, both in personal and professional terms. Judy Dench is also quite good. To be honest, I saw this a few days ago, and its already fading from my memory. It was an enjoyable enough way to spend an evening, but in the end it was somewhat lightweight and just a tad too broadly drawn for my tastes (betraying the story's origin as a play, perhaps). I thought Kenneth Branagh was well-cast as Olivier as well. What was it that Abraham Lincoln was supposed to have offered as a diplomatic response to a request for a review of a book he'd read? "People who like this sort of thing (celebrity biography; backstage expose; coming-of-age story; etc.) will find this the sort of thing they like." But aside from Williams' surprisingly effective turn in the lead, I have a feeling I'll have forgotten even seeing this after another week or two.

No comments: