Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Christmas List

As I have in past years, I thought I would post a list of some of the items I wouldn't mind finding under the Christmas Tree with my name on them this year. Maybe Santa reads my blog-- you never know. If anyone out there wants to share their own lists, feel free to post them in the comments section.

Books:
James Wolcott, Lucking Out: My Life Getting Down and Semi-Dirty in Seventies New York (Autobiography)
J. Hoberman, An Army of Phantoms: American Movies and the Making of the Cold War (movies)
Jonathan Rosenbaum, Goodbye Cinema, Hello Cinephilia (movies)
Tim Jeal, Explorers of the Nile (History)
Tony Judt, Reappraisals: Reflections on the Forgotten Twentieth Century (history)
Robert Pinsky, Thousands of Broadways: Dreams and Nightmares of teh American Small Town (history)
Beth Gates Warren, Artful Lives (Art history/biography)
Preston Lauterbach, The Chitlin' Circuit and the Road to Rock'n'Roll (Music)
Kevin Avery, Everything is an Afterthought: The Life and Writings of Paul Nelson (Music/Biography)
Michael Freeman, The Photographer's Vision: Understanding and Appreciating Great Photography (Photography)
Rick Bass, Nashville Chrome (Fiction)
William M. Adler, The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times and Legacy of Joe Hill (Biography/history)
Chuck Eddy, Rock and Roll Always Forgets (Music)
Gary Giddins, Warning Shadows: Home Alone With Classic Cinema
Jackson Lears, Rebirth of a Nation:The Making of Modern America 1877-1920 (history)
David Dunaway and Molly Beer, Singing Out (music)
John Raeburn, Ben Shahn's American Scene (art/photography)

DVDs:
White Material (Claire Denis, dir.)
Kes (Ken Loach, dir.)
Bored to Death: Complete First Season
Bored to Death: Complete Second Season
The Rockford Files: Season Six
Carlos (Olivier Assayas, dir.)
The Tree of Life (Terrance Malick, dir.)
The Monkees: Season 1 or 2
The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour: The Best of Season 2

CDs:
Kasey Chambers, Little Bird (rock)
James Burton, The Early Years 1957-1969 (rock)
Tinariwen, Tassili (world/African)
Crooked Fingers, Breaks in the Armor (rock)
Mates of State, Mountaintops (rock)

I guess that's enough. Of course I can always use more memory cards for my camera too (I like Sandisk Ultra SDHC 4 or 8 gb).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well !! John, that is quite a list.. I hope Santa reads it through. As for me, I hope he would bring me some good books.. I like the classics and biography and a good rousing mystery or courtroom drama. . And, since Tom has brought me the BIG screen TV, It would be great to see some of the good old movies again on it. Sure hope Santa Claus is tuned in to your blog. Mom

John Hajduk said...

Mom,
I don't expect to get anything close to all of these-- I just figured I'd list a bunch in case some are hard to find.
Dr. John