Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Last Movie I Saw

This is just my persoanl take, but I found watching The Lincoln Lawyer, directed by Brad Furman and starring Matthew McConaughey, to be a weird sort of movie experience. I generally like courtroom dramas, but while this is all about an attorney, very little of the story unfolds in a courtroom. I like just about all the folks in the cast I recognized-- McConaughey, Marisa Tomei, William H. Macy, even Ryan Phillippe-- who are uniformly fine in their roles. Having recently spent an enjoyable few days cruising around Los Angeles, it was fun to see so many location shots that I wanted to think (no doubt incorrectly) that I recognized. And when all was said and done it was a reasonably pleasurable way to spend a couple of hours. The thing is though, that the movie really isn't very good. It's one of those films where things seemingly happen only (to paraphrase Woody Boyd of Cheers) because it says so in the script, even though the script doesn't establish any identifiable reason for them to occur. It's also a good example of a movie that can't make up its mind about when it's over, with at least two climaxes too many. I guess I could call it a guilty pleasure, but I don't actually feel guilty for liking those elements mentioned above. So let's call it an amiably irritating dud, and hope that if this is intended to launch a franchise (it sure has that feel), that they get it right next time.

No comments: