Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Favorite Films of 2008

Last year was kind of an off-year for me and movie-going. I suspect that I saw probably 30% fewer films in 2008 compared to other recent years. Partly this was due to the high gas prices, as I must drive more than two hours to have a selection of films that goes beyond the current blockbusters or family fare that are the bread and butter of the one theater (two screens) in Dillon. Since my tastes generally run a bit more eclectic than that, I either have to make special trips to Bozeman, Missoula, or Idaho Falls, or catch up on things when I travel back east (as happened over the recent Christmas break). Not only did I see fewer movies last year, but I also think the general quality of what I saw was somewhat lower, which further dampened my enthusiasm to make those long drives, especially in the first half of the year. Anyway, here's a breakdown of what I liked (and didn't like). Some may have actually been released in 2007, but I saw them in 2008. Your tastes may vary (and feel free to offer comments on any agreement or disagreements my list might prompt).

Favorite Film of the Year:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The Rest of the Top Ten (no particular order):
In Bruges, City of Men, Slumdog Millionaire, The Visitor, There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, My Blueberry Nights, Appaloosa, Anita O'Day: The Life of a Jazz Singer

Other Movies I Liked:
Atonement, Charlie Wilson's War, Doubt, Iron Man, Tropic Thunder, How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, Valkyrie, Cadillac Records, The Counterfeiters, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Milk, The Changeling

Guilty Pleasures (Not really very good, but I enjoyed them):
Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, War, Inc.

Forgettable:
Wall-E, Journey to the Center of the Earth

Disappointments:
Burn After Reading, Savage Grace, Hancock, Dark Knight*, Leatherheads, Son of Rambow

*I feel obliged to say that this is despite the truly great performance by Heath Ledger which deserves all the accolades he has (and likely will) receive for his portrayal of the Joker.

Again, feel free to take issue with any of these-- though remember, I'm only telling you what I like, not necessarily saying your tastes should align with mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well John it is very sad for me to admit that I have only seen one film on your entire list posted here. I agree with you that "The Dark Knight" was disappointing. Maybe next time Liz and I get together for movies she will have something you list here.
Cate