Monday, March 19, 2012

Huntington Library Gardens

I visited the Huntington Library for the first time last year, but arrived at the grounds kind of late, so focused my attention on the museums.  I was there again a week or so ago, and got there early enough to tour the grounds, which are just as impressive as the art and manuscript collections.  Here are a few of the pictures I took.

These are all from the desert garden-- there were also Australian and Japanese Gardens as well as less formal areas all around the grounds.  The place is a huge complex-- evidently the estate of the founder, Huntington, who made a lot of money in railroads.

 I don't know what all these varieties of plant-life are, but a lot of them are in the cactus family. I've probably mentioned here in the past how much I like palm trees, and there were lots of those as well.

Tomorrow I'll post some shots from the Japanese Garden, which, if anything was even more impressive. 


No comments: