Saturday, December 10, 2011

Lunar Eclipse

My friends Sheila and Tom threw a Lunar Eclipse Party this morning at the semi-ridiculous hour of 6:00 am. Of course the timing was dictated entirely by the natural phenomenon we gathered to witness. I took several pictures, of which the one above was about the best, maybe fifteen minutes into the eclipse. The blue mirror image to the left is some kind of lens aberration, probably produced in part because I had to keep the shutter open for several seconds to capture anything in the dark. Tom had a telescope set up, which we took turns peering through as the earth's shadow crept its way down the moon's surface. When it was completely covered, we let out a collective howl (there were probably twenty or so folks at the gathering), then went indoors for a nice buffet breakfast. If you ever hear me saying there's nothing to do in Dillon, you can remind me of this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm envious! I bet that was a sight to see!
Sally

John Hajduk said...

Sally,
It was fun, but very cold. I hope the next one comes in the summertime ;-)
Dr. John