Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I Think About Stupid Things Too

I've been watching old episodes of the TV show Room 222 while riding my exercise bike for the past few weeks. It's one of those shows that I remember watching regularly as a kid (it ran for a few years in the late sixties, early seventies), and after not seeing it for forty years I'm a little surprised to discover that I enjoy it as much now as I did then. It's a dramedy (I think that's the right word) set in a big Los Angeles high school, and the stories strike me as pretty realistic, with a clear intent of being fair to all the factions involved (students, teachers, parents). Anyway, here's what I've become hung up on: the font used for the credits at the beginning and end of each episode looks super familiar, but I can't place where else I've seen it. I'm convinced its from some other sitcom from the seventies, but which one-- or maybe, there's more than one? Is it possible that this style of lettering was employed by multiple shows, perhaps all emanating from the same studio, or appearing on the same network? I don't know, and it's starting to drive me crazy. I kind of think it may be the same font from The Odd Couple or Barney Miller, but neither of them is currently being broadcast on any of the channels I receive so I can't check (and, to this point I've been to lazy to dig out the DVDs of the latter that I have in storage somewhere). I also thought it might be the same as used by M*A*S*H, but that just might be because a number of the names that pop up worked on that show too (like Gene Reynolds above). Anyway, I guess I'll keep wondering unless one of my readers has an idea, or I stumble across another show with the same style credits as I'm channel surfing. In the meantime, I'll keep wondering.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you come home for Christmas, John, you can watch all those old TV shows on Channel 5, here. I've been enjoying them since Tom brought over his big screen. Rockford Files comes on at 5 o'clock every day. Mom

Anonymous said...

I immediately thought of "Welcome Back Kotter"

maybe check utube for clips

T

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvqRXfd755A

-e