Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Day at the Galleries

I spent much of the day at the Albright-Knox and Burchfield-Penney Art Galleries today, with Sally and Ben. Both places had up some fine exhibits, and I had fun taking pictures of folks checking them out. A special treat was the return of R.B. Kitaj's Walter Lippmann (seen above), which is one of my favorite paintings though I bet it's been twenty years since I've seen it hanging at the Albright-Knox.

The Albright-Knox is currently featuring a lot of the most famous works in its collection, along with correspondence associated with their acquisition. If anyone ever needed proof of how substantial their holdings are, especially in modern art-- and especially post World War II modern art-- now is the time to check the place out. Doesn't this guy look a bit like actor John Turturro?

I thought I had missed Alberto Giacometti's Walking Man until I spotted it hiding behind the pillar in this shot (when Ben mentioned it while we were there, I half thought he was imagining things).

These last two photos are from the Burchfield-Penney, which always has something interesting on display. The current exhibits focus mostly on sculpture (though as always, there is plenty more to see including a set of Charles Burchfield paintings and drawings emphasizing weather and some really fine landscapes-- urban and rural-- by western New York painters).

The Rosieks gave me a membership in the Albright-Knox as a Christmas present (and through reciprocol deals, gives me a pass to the Burchfield-Penney and a bunch of other galleries around the state as well), so I'll probably be going back a few more times while I'm in town (mainly to take more pictures).

No comments: