Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Favorite Photographer

The Flatiron 1905

When I look at old photographs, I'm never entirely sure that my gut response on whether or not I like it is based on aesthetic qualities, or the mere historicalness of the image. Probably a bit of both. But for whatever reason, I really like Edward Steichen's photographs from the early part of the twentieth century, including those posted here.

The Maypole (Empire State Building) 1932

Unlike the urban photos of Bereniece Abbott, Steichen's pictures seem more distant from the human element of the city, hinting at more of an artistic than humanistic depiction (not that the two are mutually exclusive). But there's something about the angularity of his compositions that links Steichen's work to the more abstract painters of his generation, a fact that places him squarely in the realm of modernism.

Milk Bottles 1915

Steichen also took dazzling photos of celebrities and fashion models for magazines like Vanity Fair, but I prefer his landscapes, both urban and, as below, non-urban. This is largely because these are subjects that I have access to as well, and so I can take some inspiration from how he turned them into art. Anyway, work like this gives me something to shoot for.

The Pond, Moonlight 1904

No comments: