Monday, February 13, 2012

Soup Diary 120213

I finally got a chance to check out the second place just a few blocks from my house that advertises homemade soup every day. In fact I've been there twice in the last week. The first time I tried the French Onion Soup (they offer a Chicken Dumpling and Chili every day along with a rotating de jour selection). It was pretty good-- lots and lots of onions in a just slightly too sweet broth. I got it to go, so the melted Swiss cheese (over croutons) lacked that crisped-on-the-crock quality, but it still added a little bit of chewy texture to the mix. Today I tried the Bacon Corn Chowder. It was good too-- the corn was still fairly crispy, and the bacon chunks, while not as plentiful, definitely added some flavor. The broth was maybe a tad too buttery for my taste, but not enough to wreck the overall effect (this had lots of onion too, almost always a positive thing). I have to go back to the other place to give them another chance, as my first experience wasn't stellar. What they have in common so far is a somewhat intermittent quality: one place has been closed a couple of times I stopped by, the other was out of soup a couple of times. I guess the overall demand isn't great enough to insure soup-on-demand for me, but I think I can adjust as long as I can get it at least some of the time I have a craving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That bowl o f soup looked pretty delicious to me, John....Is your taste becoming a little jaded?
"slightly too sweet....lacked the crisped......bacon,not too plentiful....tad too buttery....experience wasn't stellar......" come on, John, just enjoy the experience.Mom