Friday, February 24, 2012

Soup Diary 120224

Hey I finally had a truly outstanding cup of soup in Dillon-- the Calico Bean and Ham at the Milk Pail. That's one of the two places I've mentioned recently without naming, but they definitely deserve some credit for this concoction. Very hearty, with a variety of beans and huge chunks of ham that was so tender it was falling apart on the spoon. I can't recall the last time I had such a good cup of bean soup-- it may go back years and years to when it was a staple at a defunct chain in Buffalo called Bagel Brothers (I'm smacking my lips at the memory). But where their version had a ratio of beans to ham of about 80/20%, the Milk Pail's was easily 50/50. I'm a little worried that they've raised the bar so high with this one that I'm likely to be disappointed the next time I go in there, but I guess it's a chance I'll just have to take.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you complimented the chef...Mom

John Hajduk said...

I'll be sure to let them know next time I'm there.
Dr. John