Monday, February 6, 2012

Black & White Bannack

Having gotten my work down earlier than planned today, I had a few hours of free time on my hands. So I drove over to Bannack with my camera. Here are some of the shots I took, and later processed into black and white (along with a few other adjustments).

It was an intermittently sunny afternoon, and the temperature was mid-thirties (always a concern because the cold taps my batteries' power more quickly, which has an impact on some of what I can do with the camera). But there was enough interesting light (and hence shadows) to make for some potentially good images.

One of the challenges of visiting Bannack is that I've been there so many times before that I really have to work at finding new subjects, or at least new perspectives, to shoot. But that's a big part of what makes it fun-- the challenge.

Regular readers will no doubt recognize some of the elements of these pictures from earlier posts (like the old car in the foreground above). But I don't recall ever shooting it from that angle before.

As long as the weather cooperates, I'm hoping to get out to some other sites in the coming weeks. Most years, the temperatures drop so low, I'm more inclined to stay in this time of year, but it was almost Springlike out there today, and the forecast has 40 degree temps through the next ten days or so. Maybe we'll skip winter altogether (fingers crossed!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking at your pictures, John almost makes one believe that John Wayne is going to come charging in on his horse to teach the evil doers a lesson or two.... or perhaps a stage coach arriving at the hotel door with a load of floozies getting out. Really liked the pictures. Mom