Saturday, June 18, 2011

What I Did Today

I spent most of my Saturday out in Mumford, NY, site of the Genesee Country Village. This is kind of like Colonial Williamsburg, except it commemorates an era a couple of generation later, and the more "frontier" kind of atmosphere found in upstate New York. There are several dozen buildings comprising the village, most of which are restored and open to the public. It's a great place to experience a little history.

I took over 400 pictures (I was actually shocked by the number myself), some of the sights, some of family I was visiting with, and some attempts at artsiness, given the unique setting and some of the lighting situations I found.

I'm a little surprised that I never made my way over there before-- it's just about an hour's drive from where I grew up. But though I've been hearing about the place for years, today was the first time I went there, and I had a great time wandering amongst the buildings, listening to the docents tell the stories of the various places and families who inhabited them, and enjoying the great weather.

We were there for over five hours, and except for some mildly sore feet from all the walking, I think I could have easily spent another couple of hours exploring the grounds. We did miss the nineteenth century rules baseball game (because we were way over on the other side of the village, but aside from that it was a perfect day.
Thanks to Theresa, Dan, Nik, Helen, Emma, Natalie and Ben for helping make it such a good time-- I hope we can do it again some time!

No comments: