Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Soup Diary 110621

One never knows from where or when a great cup of soup will emerge, but I really expect something by my brother-in-law to surpass anything I've had recently in a restaurant. But that's the case: a pot of red pepper soup concocted by Dan about a week ago surpassed everything else I had over the past few days, and that's not meant as a backhanded compliment-- his soup was really good. I won't run down all the competition, except to say that I had yet another very disappointing cup at Fables. Their Thai Carrot Ginger was overly sweet, like someone had dumped a barrel of honey into the mix (maybe this was a response to my criticism of the sour Sweet Pea soup a couple weeks ago? Is it possible I wield such power? It's a scary thought). Dan's soup struck a great balance between flavor and tang, and was a perfect creamy texture. I hope he makes it again sometime; I hope he can make it again sometime, as he strikes me as the sort of cook who kind of makes it up as he goes along. With even more relatives visiting from out west, maybe that'll be an excuse to make another batch. I've got my fingers crossed.

No comments: