Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Soup Diary 110614

I'm falling behind on keeping this diary up to date, so there are two soups featured today, enjoyed at restaurants last week on a visit to Ohio to visit my uncle. The first was a really fine, savory cup of Bean Soup, which seems to have become rare on menus at the places I frequent. That is, the straightforward beans with a little ham or bacon, which I recall as being one of the perennial standbys at most diners and coffee shops in days gone by, and not necessarily the more dressed up variations. I had this cup at a place called Varieties in Canton and it really hit the spot (the hot meatloaf sandwich was also first-rate). Personally, I'd love to see the savory bean soup make a comeback, maybe taking the place of clam chowder in the list of commonly offered mainstays.

The second cup I had that day was Cheddar Baked Potato at a Bob Evans. Almost predictably, the cheddar overwhelmed the potato in the mix of flavors, and that was a bit unfortunate, but it wasn't bad. I suspect that unlike a place like Varieties, Bob Evans produces their soup from either some kind of mix, or a standardized recipe, as it had a kind of institutional quality to it. Again, it wasn't bad, just unremarkable and a reminder why it's generally worthwhile to search out the non-chain restaurants if you want to find something out of the ordinary (though I've been disappointed in those circumstances too).

No comments: