Thursday, July 26, 2012

Some More Washington Pictures

Back in the late eighties/early nineties it seemed like I was going down (or through) DC regularly to attend a conference or do research.  Every time, I made it a point to give my regards to Charlie McCarthy at the Smithsonian History Museum.  After fifteen plus years I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to say hello again to the little guy, though he wasn't in his former regular spot (I gather they were doing renovations or something in what had been the pop culture wing).  Luckily for me, I came across Charlie in a temporary exhibit room (shared with Archie Bunker's chair, Fonzie's jacket, and Dorothy's red slippers), though he seems much less dapper without his trademark top hat.  It was good to see him again.  Below are some of the sculptures from the National Gallery of Art-- beautiful pieces all, but lacking some of McCarthy's insouciant charm.







No comments: