Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Last Movie I Saw

Two thoughts about Snow White and the Huntsman, Rupert Sanders, which I recently saw:
1. I've never seen any of the Twilight films, which I gather are the primary source of Kristen Stewart's celebrity. But after seeing her in the female lead in Adventureland and as Joan Jett in The Runaways, I'd definitely rank her among the finest young actresses in current films.  But I don't consider her even remotely competitive in a "fairest of them all" contest with Charlize Theron, who plays the evil queen in this film. 
2. Does it seem like a lot of movies in the past few years are based on material that originated as stories for children, that are made to appeal to adults?  Does this mean that adults would rather revisit familiar characters and plots (think of all the comic book movies, or the Pixar films where virtually every review mentions the selling point that "hey include stuff for grown-ups too"), rather than engage with something more sophisticated or original? Or is it more a reflection of the fact that young people are more likely to attend the movies?  I have to say, I really couldn't figure out any good reason to remake Snow White in this fashion. I mean, it's well enough made and has a few decent scenes, but it doesn't really add anything to the myth as far as I can see-- unless its just to increase the likely market (like the Pixar films).  Of course, Hollywood has never exactly been noted for originality, so I shouldn't be surprised.  I just think its notable that the baseline recently is almost always kid stuff. 

No comments: